Friday, June 25, 2010

School Hike

Every year, Loa Elementary has end-of-school hikes in the beautiful, nearby Capital Reef. I went with Kurtis this year on the 3rd grade hike to Chimney Rock. Wes told me it would be a piece-of-cake so I signed up. Soon afterward, I begin hearing what a difficult hike it was! Oh... Great! I've never been in worse shape! (Four years of sedentary schoolwork have done little for my cardiovascular health!) But I'd promised Kurtis, so we geared up and headed out.

Taking a water break midway up the steep trail. So far, so good!


Wow... beautiful!


We reached the lookout over Chimney Rock (behind us)


Mason & Kurtis with Chimney Rock in background


My always smiling, handsome young man. (He doesn't like being called a 'cute kid' anymore!)


Kurt with fellow classmates


Kurtis found a really cool sandstone rock...


We were amazed by it... It had to have been carved by someone


... Cuz it looks exactly like a face!


Bryant, Kurt & Nick chillin' out in the red rock. We are nearing the end of our 2 hour + long hike... and it's a good thing, because it's getting hot! What a great hike! And I even survived without EMT assistance!!
Next we get on the bus and head to the Visitor's Center for lunch & fun games! Can't wait to see Katie and hear about the Kindergarten "hike" around the Visitor's Center!

There's my Katie-bug!!


She's excited to see Kurtis & tell us all about her adventures. We were all happy to rest in the shade and enjoy some lunch and visiting with friends.


Let the games begin... Tug-of-War!
3rd Graders vs. 4th Graders

3rd Grade wins!!! Way to go!!


Now Kindergarten gets their turn... they also win and land in a pile at the end of the rope!


Katie & her friend, Tamara

What a fun day!!! A great way to celebrate the end of the school year! It's officially summer now!

No comments:

Post a Comment